Thursday, April 5, 2018

Every Maid's Dream: Vida de Empreguete

A reader sent me a link to a video that I'd like to share with you. It's a short clip about a Brazilian maid who has a dream that she switches lives with her mistress and starts imagining how she's going to treat her. A common theme, of course, but I liked it. Naturally, as one would expect, the Mistress is whiter, taller and skinnier - a theme explored in endless fashion editorials, including one from Vogue Brazil, incidentally, where a maid and a mistress almost look like different species or that Playboy Brazil spread with a blonde madame and a dark-skinned maid



The catchy song in that video is actually quite interesting too. I found the lyrics and, needless to say, it's a lady-to-maid manifesto/maid empowerment anthem of sorts with lines like "I want to see the Madame here in my place/I would laugh a lot" or "One day I would buy an apartment and become a socialite/All hot, I am going to travel with my casual date" and so on. You can read it here with a (very basic) English translation. 


The song is from a 2012 Brazilian TV novella/musical called Cheias de Charme, a story of three maids that start a music band. Looks like your typical fare (and maids are mainstays of Latin soap operas and comedies), but fun nonetheless. Here is a clip from that show with the same song and some dress up in their mistress's clothing:







3 comments:

  1. For all you ladies out there drooling at the mouth, be sure to like this video so that when you maid goes snooping through your stuff she can discover that you are positively predisposed toward swapping positions with her.

    ReplyDelete