Friday, April 6, 2018

Story: Dancing With My Soul. Chapter 10.


by Andy Engines

I stared in the mirror not quite comprehending what I was seeing or rather the full extent of what it meant. The dress was black. Fitted but not too tight to allow a full range of movement. It ended just below my knees and halfway to my elbows with a white collar around the neck. Combined with the white apron it could only be one thing.

I stood looking at myself in the mirror and for the first time since this whole diabolical period had started I felt beaten. I had seen maids. My family had employed maids and not once had I thought I would be staring at myself as a maid. But now I was. I felt the uniform, touching the fabric as if it was one totally alien to me. I was in shock. This was a badge. This was a huge reminder of who I was and who I had once been. This was a measure of my defeat.

“Come child.” I glanced over at the housekeeper as she stood watching me. “You have chores to do and little time do them.”

And that was it.



My chores remained the same and the day was exactly the same but whereas before I was dressed in my course peasant skirt and top now I was one of the maids. My uniform was my identity. I was a member of staff. I was one of the many.

As the day came to an end and we sat in the kitchen the old woman looked over at me with a tear in her eye. “Marije. I will miss your smile in the mornings but you will be able to visit on Sundays”

I jolted upright at her words. “Sorry. What did you say.” A sliver of panic crept into me.

“My Marije. You have worked hard.” She smiled across at me. “You deserve this.”

Fear crept deeper into my chest.

“I don’t understand.”

“Your place is here. If you wish to help me you can. A little money will help and Sundays you can visit. I will still be coming to help but once the family are here you will be busy.”

“Visit? Family?” I spluttered. And then in dawned on me. All the days working here twice a week through the winter had been my apprenticeship. Had been my trial. Had been leading to this; My employment at the house. Full time employment at the house.

At precisely 12 noon James’ cell phone shrilled loudly in the quiet of the apartment. The sounds of the birds chirping in the square died away as the sound of hope and answered prayers reverberated around the walls.

I had expected a morning of noise and turmoil but instead James had studiously sat at this computer. Mr Gaspar had left early and had only returned 10 minutes previously. There had been a calm to everything mellowed by the birdsong and the quiet smell of cherry floating in the air.

“Mark. James. How are you. Branco and Val are with me.”

“Good. How has the morning gone? Branco fill me in on your end first. Then you James…” there was a pause. “And people lets not dress this up. Be absolutely honest. I need factual honesty. Not wishes or fantasy… ok?”

“Good morning Mark.” Mr Gaspars voice drifted through the air as he walked to the table. I was sure he only spoke with one single emotion. Nothing affected his speech. “I visited the police Inspector and we sat over coffee. The case is weak, very weak but it would appear that his Chief Inspector wants something to show he is doing his job.” Mr Gaspar smiled briefly and nodded to himself. “The inspector is not an issue for us, he has a price and that can be negotiated. The Chief Inspector is another matter.”

“Branco, there is no need to negotiate, if you have a price pay it. We can use the leverage right now –“

“No. It doesn’t work like that here. If we pay the full price we win nothing…”

“Nothing? Explain.”

“Respect. Respect is the key. The Inspector expects us to negotiate. He has a price in his head that I would imagine is half or maybe a third of what he asked for. I need to negotiate with him and my aim is to pay him 55%. That way we have his respect but also he gets more than he initially wanted. Respect and face are the key elements here.”

“Ok, you know the ground better than me, go ahead but make it quick ok? And the Chief Inspector how about him? What does he want to show? Can we help?”

“Hmmm.” The old lawyer scratched his chin. “Now he is a tougher opponent. Normally money would work but his drive on this is not purely without reason. He wants to show the people he is for them. He is attempting to be elected as Mayor later this year and he feels that this case would guarantee his election.”

“Hold on Gaspar. You are saying this case is all about the Chief Inspectors ambition to be the Mayor. Nothing else?”

“Yes just that.”

“But we can pay whatever he wants, we can meet him wherever he wants. What can we do to help. Surely funds for his campaign will help.”

“I agree but a foreigner brought to justice for the slaying of a local boy will help him more. Remember respect, if he convicts he will gain respect and votes. Then as the Mayor he gets the towns full respect not to mention the fact that he will head the planning committee. And before you ask every mayor has ended his two year tenure considerably richer and more respected than through any other endeavour.”

There was a silence on the line.

“Ok Ideas. Solutions. Go.”

Mr Gaspar smiled and sat back. “We have three options. The first is we gain leverage that we can silently hold over him. On this I am working, I have feelers out. The second is that if he believes his case will fail then he may drop it, the bad publicity will ruin his chances of election as sure as a success will guarantee it…” The old man relaxed in thought, the room went quiet.

“Branco, you said three options. What is the third.”

Mr Gaspar sat stock still and it was as if he was talking to his grand daughter. “We ruin him. We drag him down so that he has to resign. We remove every ounce of respect that was ever felt for him.”

“And how would we do that Branco, set him up with a scandal. I assume he is married. Is that your idea?”

“No. Most men have Mistresses. They keep them quietly hidden but it’s like a game, everyone knows but no one talks about it. A sexual scandal would work though.”

It was James turn to lean in. “Sorry I don’t understand. What is the difference? What sexual scandal would work.”

Mr Gaspar sat and smiled. When he spoke it was chilling at how serene he sounded. “A child would do the trick-“

“No.” I jolted upright. The course of the discussion had gone in a direction that I couldn’t bear to listen to anymore. “Mark. We are not doing that. We are absolutely NOT doing that. Understand.”

“I agree with Val. That is going too far Branko.”

“Then we could use a goat, its been done before.”

The room went silent for a longest time and then a far away tinny voice came over the cell phone speaker. “A goat. Did I hear you correctly. A goat?”

The old man just sat there with the hint of a smile as he quietly answered. “Yes a goat.”
    



No comments:

Post a Comment