Monday, October 5, 2026

Story: Biometrics don't lie. Part 27.

by Melissa

Part 27. The fall of Icarus.

The sun was setting behind the gothic spires of Elmwood Academy, casting long, skeletal shadows across the marble floor of the reception hall. Agnès - the receptionist - sat hunched over her desk, the glow of the monitor washing out her tired features. The building was quiet, but the silence felt heavy, pregnant with the secrets she was forced to guard.

When the phone rang, the sharp electronic trill made Agnès jump. She checked the caller ID. Miss Delgado, Melissa's lawyer.

Agnès felt her heart skip. "Miss Delgado. Please tell me you have news. The parents?"

There was a heavy sigh on the other end. "I've been in touch with the International Space Agency. It's bad news, Agnès. Melissa's parents are currently part of the crew of an isolated Mars simulation mission in the heart of Antarctica. They are in the 'Deep Isolation' phase - a total blackout. zero external communication, no exceptions, no emergency override. For the next five months, they might as well be on the red planet itself. The mission protocols are ironclad, they are in a simulated vacuum."

Agnès felt a cold lump form in her stomach. "Five months? There must be a faster way for Melissa to prove her identity."

"Listen to the rest," Miss Delgado interrupted. "The Agency has DNA profiles for every participant on file for medical emergencies. If we could compare those samples to Melissa, we could prove she is their biological daughter and end this charade in an hour. But there is a massive legal wall. Under privacy statutes, the Agency cannot release or compare those samples without the express written consent of the subjects or, in their absence, a direct legal descendant. And currently, Agnès, the judicial system - backed by Elmwood's own biometric data - recognizes the imposter as the only legal descendant. As long as that girl occupies Melissa's life, she is the only person on Earth who can legally authorize the DNA test that would expose her. It's a perfect, closed loop."

"So the thief is the only one who can grant permission to prove she's a thief?" Agnès asked, her voice rising in disbelief.

"Precisely," Miss Delgado said. "And unless she's developed a sudden martyr complex, she isn't going to sign a document that leads her straight to a maximum-security cell."

There was a long silence. Miss Delgado sighed, a sound of grim resignation. "Agnès, look... perhaps this is a form of cosmic justice. Maybe five more months of maid duties is exactly what Melissa deserves. I'll be honest, Agnès - part of me feels this is karma. The girl betrayed Maria, her family maid. She stood by and watched a girl she knew was innocent get hauled away for theft just to protect her own 'perfect' reputation. She's avoided a real prison cell thanks to my 'creative' defense. Five more months of scrubbing floors and realizing what it means to be the 'help'... it might actually do her some good. A bit of karmic rebalancing before her parents return to save her. She avoided a cell, didn't she?."

"Karma?" Agnès's voice rose, trembling with a rare flash of anger. "Miss Delgado, this isn't a lesson. It's an execution. Melissa won't last five months. She won't last one."

"It's just cleaning, Agnès. Hard work never killed-"

"It is not just cleaning!" Agnès hissed, checking the hallway for passing faculty. "She was taken to the Dean's office the moment she returned. I saw her afterward. She couldn't sit, she couldn't bend. She was moving like a woman made of glass. The Dean gave her a severe beating, Miss Delgado. The old-fashioned way. And I've seen the calendar. The Dean has scheduled 'private disciplinary sessions' every week for the foreseeable future. She is using the girl as a punching bag."

There was a stunned, heavy silence on the other end. "Are you certain? Corporal punishment was banned by the Educational Reform Act years ago. It's a felony."

"For students, yes," Agnès countered bitterly. "But the Dean doesn't see a student. She sees a servant, a delinquent assigned to her by the State. And I've looked at the usurper's file - the girl Melissa is supposed to be. The judge who handled the original theft case didn't just sentence her to community service, she signed an 'In Loco Parentis' waiver stripping Melissa of all her rights. She authorized Elmwood to use 'traditional disciplinary measures' at the Dean's discretion. The use of corporal punishment is not only allowed, it is encouraged in order to, I quote, 'put the girl in her place and make her more compliant'. To the law, Melissa is a common criminal who needs the rod."

"My God," Miss Delgado whispered. "I... I had no idea the 'community service' terms were that archaic. I was so focused on the theft charges... I'll call the Dean," Miss Delgado snapped. "I'll threaten a lawsuit-"

"No! Please," Agnès begged. "If you do that, the Dean will think Melissa told you about it. She will see it as another 'act of defiance' and double the punishment. And there's more. Something even more degrading than the beatings.

Agnès swallowed hard, looking at the colorful flyers for the upcoming festival. "They've created a booth for the school gala. They're calling it 'The Philosopher's Rest.' They are forcing Melissa to give foot massages to the students, the faculty, and the donors. It's the ultimate objectification. For three days, she will be on her knees in a public booth, being handled and mocked like a prize animal. It's going to be a slaughterhouse for her sanity, Miss Delgado. Melissa was a girl who looked at the stars, and now they're forcing her to spend her days looking at the dirt on people's heels."

A sharp, audible gasp came from Miss Delgado. "The foot massages? Agnès, I invented that! I only used that 'talent' as a legal fiction to explain the money she was accused of stealing. It was a lie to keep her out of jail! I never dreamed they would turn a legal defense into a public spectacle."

"Well, they did," Agnès said. "And the girls are already lining up. Melissa is becoming a 'celebrity servant,' a novelty to be used and discarded. Between the Dean's rod and the festival's humiliation, her sanity is going to snap long before those five months are up."

"Then we have to get that DNA test," Miss Delgado said, her voice now sharp with urgency. "But as I said, we need the usurper's consent. And why would she give it? It's a confession. It's a one-way ticket to a high-security prison."

"Can we go to the judge?" Agnès pleaded. "If we show Melissa to the judge, surely she would see that this isn't the girl she sentenced?"

"Judge Thompson?" Miss Delgado let out a hollow laugh. "The woman is a brilliant legal mind, but she's been blind for fifteen years. She doesn't know what the girl she sentenced looks like. She relies on the biometrics - and the biometrics say the girl in the maid's uniform is the thief."

Agnès slumped against the desk. "Then we are lost."

"Maybe not," Miss Delgado said, her voice dropping into a low, calculating hum. "Tell me about the usurper. What is she doing with Melissa's life?"

Agnès sighed. "That's the irony. She's becoming a star. She's Mrs. Williams's favorite. She's studying Machiavelli, leading seminars, acing every exam. She's not just playing the part, she loves the books, the lectures, the prestige. She craves the education she was never supposed to have. She's hungry for it."

"Hungry for education," Miss Delgado mused. "Interesting. Agnès, listen. The usurper knows the clock is ticking. She knows that in five months, the parents return and the game is over. Right now, she's facing twenty years for identity theft, fraud, and embezzlement. But if I approach her... if I offer her a deal."

"A deal? She's a criminal!"

"Hear me out. If she confesses now, I can negotiate a plea deal. A minimal sentence in a low-security facility instead of decades in a cage. But we need a carrot. If she really craves this life, we offer her a future. I want you to ask Melissa: if the usurper confesses and gives up the DNA, would Melissa be willing to sign a secret, legally binding contract? Melissa's family is incredibly wealthy. Would she agree to pay for the usurper's education - at a prestigious school elsewhere - once the girl has served her reduced sentence? We offer her the one thing she's trying to steal: a way out of the slums."

"You're asking Melissa to fund the education of the girl who is currently letting her be beaten and humiliated," Agnès whispered.

"I'm asking Melissa if her freedom is worth the price of a scholarship," Miss Delgado corrected. "It's a tall order, and the usurper might still say no out of sheer terror. But it's the only hand we have to play. Ask her, Agnès. Ask her if she can find it in herself to see the strategic value in mercy."

"I'll ask her," Agnès said, her voice trembling with a mixture of hope and horror. "I'll ask her tonight. Heaven help us if she says no."

***

The air in the administrative wing was thick with the scent of floor wax and old paper. Agnès walked with a purpose that masked the trembling in her hands, heading toward the small, windowless office tucked behind the main linen room.

Mrs. Henderson, the Head Maid, sat behind a desk piled high with duty rosters. She looked up, her expression a mask of weary professionalism.

"Agnès," Mrs. Henderson said, her voice gravelly. "If you're here for the guest lists, they're in the sub-basement."

"I'm here for Melissa," Agnès said, leaning over the desk. "I need to see her."

Mrs. Henderson's eyes flickered toward the door before returning to her papers. "The Dean's orders were explicit. Melissa is to be kept in isolation between her laundry shifts and her... training sessions at the infirmary. No visitors. No distractions. She needs to be focused on the festival."

"Mrs. Henderson, please," Agnès begged, leaning over the desk. "I need ten minutes. If I don't speak to her, she won't survive the first day of the festival. The 'Philosopher's Rest'... it's going to break her. You know what they're planning to do to her."

The Head Maid's pen stopped. A flash of something that looked remarkably like shame crossed her face. She knew the weight of the Dean's paddle, she knew the cruelty of the girls. "I have my orders, Agnès. I cannot disobey a direct command from the Dean's office. I don't have the authority to let you in for a 'social visit.'"

She paused, looking at a blank spot on the wall. "However... if you were to tell me that you possess a particular knowledge of reflexology - that you could provide additional instruction and advice to the girl to ensure the festival booth is a success - well, the Dean did say her training was the priority. I suppose I could justify a ten-minute session in the storage room."

Agnès caught the lifeline instantly. "I... yes. I've studied the pressure points. I can help her improve her technique."

It was a blatant lie, and they both knew it. Mrs. Henderson nodded slowly, pretending to believe the fabrication. She stood up, grabbed a heavy iron key, and led Agnès toward a narrow door tucked behind a row of industrial dryers.

"Ten minutes," Henderson whispered, unlocking the door. "I'll be standing outside."

Melissa was standing by a stack of crates, her shoulders slumped. Her uniform was a stark, punishing contrast to the finery she had once known. She wore a heavy, slate-grey dress of coarse industrial cotton, the fabric stiff with starch and the faint, chemical scent of bleach. Over it was tied a thick white apron, its straps digging into her shoulders, the front stained with the damp shadows of laundry steam.

Her legs, once accustomed to fine hosiery, were bare and pale against the clunky, black rubber-soled work shoes that looked two sizes too large for her delicate frame. Her hair, usually a vibrant red, was pulled back into a severe, tight bun beneath a plain white mob cap, though a few damp strands had escaped to stick to her forehead. She looked diminished, the voluminous folds of the scratchy grey skirt making her appear smaller, more fragile, like a ghost lost in a shroud of service.

When she saw Agnès, Melissa didn't smile. She didn't even look hopeful. She simply dropped into a low, automatic curtsy, her eyes fixed on Agnès's shoes.

"Don't," Agnès whispered, rushing forward and catching the girl by her elbows to pull her upright. "Melissa, it's me. Please, look at me."

Melissa's gaze lifted slowly. Her eyes were hollow, the spark of the girl who dreamed of the stars buried under layers of exhaustion and the trauma of the Dean's "private welcome." She moved with a winced hesitation, her body clearly still tender from the session in the Dean's office.

"Miss Agnès," Melissa murmured, her voice sounding like dry parchment. "You shouldn't be here. The Dean said... she said I'm to have no distractions before the festival. She wants me focused on the 'service.'"

"Listen to me," Agnès said, gripping Melissa's hands. They were raw, the skin puckered from lye and scrubbing. "I don't have much time. I spoke to Miss Delgado. She has a plan. We know about your parents, about the communications blackout in Antarctica. We know the imposter is the only one who can authorize a test of your parents' DNA for the next five months."

Melissa's head tilted, a ghost of a frown on her face. "The imposter, Miss Jones... she's doing so well, Miss Agnès. I heard Mrs. Williams talking. She's the top of the class. She fits in better than I ever could have."

"That doesn't matter! She's a thief!" Agnès hissed. "Listen to me. Miss Delgado wants to offer her a deal. If the usurper confesses now and authorizes the DNA test, you will sign a secret, legally binding contract. You are wealthy. You will use your money to pay for her education at a prestigious school after she serves a reduced sentence. We give her the life she's trying to steal, but legally. We give her a way out."

"My money?" Melissa whispered, the word sounding foreign on her tongue. "Miss Agnès, you don't understand. It isn't my money any more. The bank, the school, the law... they all say it belongs to Miss Jones. Every time I see her in the hallways, draped in my silks, speaking my parents' names... I don't see a thief anymore. I see the girl who was supposed to be here. She has the 'virtù' Mrs. Williams talks about. She's strong. She's brilliant. Maybe..." her voice trailed off into a terrifyingly calm whisper, "...maybe the universe finally corrected a mistake. Maybe she was born to lead, and I was born to realize how it feels to be beneath someone's heel."

"Melissa, stop that!" Agnès squeezed her hands, her voice cracking. "That is the trauma talking. That is the Dean trying to break your spirit. You are a dreamer. You belong in the stars, not in a sub-basement scrubbing the stains out of someone else's life!"

Melissa winced as a sharp throb from her lower back reminded her of her recent "review" in the Dean's office. She looked down at the industrial-grade cotton of her apron, then at her own raw, red fingers.

"I used to look at the stars," Melissa said, her voice devoid of emotion. "Now, I look at pressure points. I look at the dirt on a student's arch. And the strange thing is, Miss Agnès... I'm good at it. When I'm on my knees, the world makes sense. There are no expectations. There's just the service. The Dean says that for a girl with my 'delinquent history,' this is the only path to redemption. Maybe she's right. It would be so much easier to just... be a maid. To stop fighting the current and just let the water take me."

"It's not redemption, it's slavery!" Agnès hissed, her eyes darting toward the door where Mrs. Henderson stood guard. "If you don't fight this, you will disappear. In five months, when your parents come back, they won't even recognize the broken woman you've become. You have to authorize this deal. You have to give the usurper a way out so you can have your life back."

"Maybe I don't deserve to have my life back," Melissa whispered. She looked down at her hands, the fingers red and cramped from the infirmary drills. "I watched the police take Maria - my family maid - away for a theft I knew she hadn't committed. I sat in my silk sheets and said nothing. I still remember the cheap clothes she was wearing. Now... now I'm the one in the scratchy cotton. I'm the one on my knees. Maybe I am meant to be a servant, Miss Agnès. When I'm in the infirmary... when I'm working on the Nurse's feet... I feel like a tool that finally found its purpose."

"Melissa," Agnès pleaded, her voice a desperate thrum, think of your parents. Think of the girl who wanted to be the first woman to walk on a Martian moon. That girl is still in there, buried under the grey cotton and the bleach. Don't let them kill her. Sign the intent. Trust Miss Delgado."

"I am so tired, Miss Agnès," Melissa whispered, her eyes finally welling with the first tears she had allowed herself since her return. "Every time I try to remember a physics equation, all I can think about is the rhythmic pressure of a thumb on a heel. It's like an addiction... the submissiveness."

"Then sign it for me," Agnès whispered. "Do it because I can't bear to see you disappear."

Melissa closed her eyes, a single tear tracing a path through the faint smudge of charcoal on her cheek. She took a shuddering breath, the weight of her dual identities - the fallen star and the rising servant - warring within her. Slowly, the logic of the "fox" won out. If she was to survive the lion, she had to play the game Miss Delgado had designed.

"Okay," Melissa whispered, her voice barely audible over the hum of the dryers next door. "I'll do it, Miss Agnès. I'll sign whatever Miss Delgado needs. I'll promise the scholarship. I'll trust her judgment... and yours."

Agnès let out a sob of relief, leaning forward to press her forehead against Melissa's. "Thank you. Thank you, Melissa. Stay strong. We'll save you, I promise. Hold on just a little longer."

"Time's up," Mrs. Henderson announced, her face unreadable.

Melissa immediately pulled away, her posture snapping back into a rigid, submissive curve. She dropped into a deep, silent curtsy, her eyes returning to the floorboards as Agnès was ushered out. As the heavy iron key turned in the lock, Melissa remained on her knees in the dark, her mind drifting between a dream of red Martian dust and the cold, practical reality of the foot massages she was about to give at the festival.

***

The following morning, the prestigious halls of the National Museum of Fine Arts were nearly empty, save for the hushed echoes of Elmwood Academy's Leadership class.

Miss Jones - the usurper - stood alone in the Renaissance gallery, framed by the gold-leafed grandeur of a masterwork depicting the fall of Icarus. She looked every bit the part of the Academy's crown jewel. Her uniform was a masterpiece of elite branding: her cream-colored silk blouse shimmered under the gallery lights, tucked neatly into a high-waisted tartan skirt of deep forest green and navy blue. Over it, she wore the structured navy blazer, its gold-threaded school crest catching the light with every breath. Her long knee socks were pulled to a precise height, disappearing into the polished leather of her Mary Jane shoes. To anyone passing by, she was the quintessential image of innocence and intellectual promise.

The usurper was gazing at the painted figure tumbling toward the sea. Her eyes traced the "waxen wings" of the falling boy, noting how the artist had rendered them with a translucent, shimmering quality—a texture that looked hauntingly like the expensive silk of her own sleeve. It was a fabric designed to be seen, not to endure: a fragile, temporary skin that was already beginning to feel like it could melt under the heat.

"A fitting metaphor for a girl who flew too high on waxen wings, don't you think?"

Miss Jones stiffened. She turned to see Miss Delgado, looking sharp in a light mint-green sheath dress.

"I don't believe we've been introduced," the usurper said, her voice a perfect imitation of a privileged student's bored arrogance. "And I don't talk to strangers in museums."

"I'm not a stranger. I'm your lawyer - well, technically, I'm the lawyer for the girl currently scrubbing the sub-basement floors," Miss Delgado replied, her voice dropping to a dangerous whisper.

"I have nothing to say to you," the girl snapped, her voice a perfect imitation of aristocratic ice. "I'm a student on a sanctioned trip. If you don't leave, I'll call security."

"Call them," Miss Delgado said calmly. "And while they're coming, I'll explain to your classmates - and Mrs. Williams - that I have proof you were the one who planted the money in the maid's quarters. Not to frame her, but because you were secretly paying her for illicit services. How do you think your 'top student' reputation will handle the news that you're the one funding the scandal?"

The usurper's jaw tightened. The threat hit home: it attacked the one thing she couldn't afford to lose - her reputation. She gestured toward a quiet alcove. "Speak. Briefly."

Miss Delgado laid out the offer: the secret contract, the paid education, the plea deal that would trade a lifetime of running for a short sentence and a legitimate future.

"Without this deal," Delgado added, her voice hardening, "you are looking at décades in a maximum-security cell for identity theft, fraud, and the systematic destruction of a life."

At the mention of the cell, the usurper's gaze drifted back to the painting. She didn't look at Icarus anymore: she looked at the dark, turbulent blue of the sea beneath him - the vast, suffocating expanse where the boy was destined to drown. It looked cold, deep, and final.

When Miss Delgado finished, the usurper let out a cold, sharp laugh, though her eyes remained fixed on the painted waves. "A creative fiction, Miss Delgado. But biometrics don't lie. The girl in the laundry is a thief and a mythomaniac who has clearly managed to manipulate your sense of pity. My name is Melissa Jones. My parents are in Antarctica. The biometrics say it, the school says it, and the world says it. Your 'offer' is a fantasy."

Miss Jones turned back to the painting, her chin tilting upward in a final, defiant imitation of the elite. "Now, leave, before I call security and tell the Dean you're harassing me."

***

Later that day, back within the suffocatingly ornate walls of Elmwood, Miss Jones was intercepted in the darkened reception hall. Agnès stood by the grand staircase, her face etched with a desperate, maternal grief.

"Please, Miss Jones," Agnès whispered. "Just a moment of your time. In private."

The usurper looked at her, the icy mask of the museum softening for a fraction of a second. She gestured toward a secluded stone bench in the courtyard, away from the hum of the security cameras.

"I'll talk to you, Agnès," the girl said quietly. "Because you're the only person in this evil place who actually has a soul."

Once they were alone, Agnès didn't waste time. "I know you refused the lawyer. I know you played the part. But I'm begging you: reconsider. This isn't just about a school, it's about a girl's life. The other Melissa is being destroyed."

The usurper leaned back, looking up at the carved ceiling. "Of course I refused her, Agnès. Delgado is a shark. She was almost certainly recording me. I couldn't admit to being an 'usurper' to a woman who wants to put me in a cage. I am a criminal, not an idiot."

She turned to Agnès, and for the first time, the 'Student Jones' mask fell away. Her eyes were tired, ancient with a grief that shouldn't belong to a student. "But with you... I don't have to be a fox. I can tell you the truth."

"Then tell me you don't want to destroy the other Melissa," Agnès pleaded.

"I don't hate her," the girl said, her voice a hollow rasp. "I never did. I even feel sorry for her. But it's too late for Delgado's plea deals and 'secret contracts.' I've already sold my soul to the devil, Agnès. I've drained her accounts. I've watched her bleed. I've become the monster this evil place wanted me to be."

Miss Jones looked at her hands, the hands that had "trained" Melissa in the infirmary. "I don't deserve a future. I don't deserve an education after this. I am already too corrupted, too stained by the things I've done. I belong in the hell I've built for myself."

"You can still stop it," Agnès cried. "The DNA test-"

"No," Miss Jones cut her off, her voice trembling. "It's too late. I can't stop now. I have to be the monster until the very end."

She stepped back, the shadows of the vestibule swallowing her. "I don't deserve a plea deal. I deserve to rot in whatever hell is waiting for people who do what I've done. I am too corrupted for the 'future' she's offering. That girl... she's still innocent enough to think the world is fair. I know better."

Agnès reached out, but the usurper recoiled.

"There is no negotiation, Agnès. Tell people to stop trying to save me. I'm already gone." The usurper's eyes flickered toward the service door that led to the sub-basement. "If you want to save the other one, tell her this: tell her to run. Tell her to flee Elmwood at the first chance she gets. Stay hidden. Disappear into the city until her parents return and the biometrics don't matter. It's the only mercy I have left to give. Because if she stays here... there won't be enough of her left to reclaim her name when the five months are up."

Miss Jones turned and walked out into the light of the hall, her head held high, leaving Agnès standing in the dark with the chilling realization that the 'Star Student' wasn't just playing a part - she was a girl who had embraced her own damnation.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Readers,

    Part 27 of the story is finally here! We are moving into the deep end of the Elmwood saga as the systemic architecture of the academy forces both Melissas to pay for their choices. The countdown is on. What are your theories for the upcoming festival arc? Don't hesitate to share your predictions in the comments!

    your humble maid Melissa

    Note: if you want to read this story from the beginning, parts 1 and 2 are here. Parts 3 to 26 are also available on this website by clicking on the links in 'Blog Archive' to the right.

    ReplyDelete