Monday, January 17, 2022

Story: A Lady and Her Maid. Chapter 7.

by Jackie J

Chapter 7

There had developed an unmistakable normality at Stag Head Manor, with its groundsman cum groom and coachman, its maid and mistress. Constance, the once gracious Mistress of the manor had evolved into a perfect maid, mainly by her own delusional imaginings, utterly consumed by and held captive within the dumbed down persona of her own making, that of Maud Williams.

Maud’s weight gain had been subtle but significant over the months, although her figure could be said to be more plump than overweight. Once considered quite statuesque, along with her chubby cheeks, busty chest, an often-slapped, broad worker woman’s backside now protruded below her neatly tied aprons bow. Gone the gracious step of a lady, from the wearing of heavy boots and restrictive garb, and her light educated voice now replaced with her encouraged common speech. There was little that remained of the once sophisticated and elegant Lady Constance Summerfield. In fact, nothing at all!

Whilst the degradation and debasement of the former mistress of Stag Head manor could not have been better triumphed, the transformation of maid to lady, by Miss Jennifer Jenkins, was no less profound. Jenny the maid had blossomed, assuming a deserved superiority over her fawning maid until becoming second nature. Wearing fine clothes and with her developed grace no one would consider the ladylike Miss Jenkins to be other than the Mistress of the manor.

Having taken breakfast and returned to her rooms to dress, Jennifer looked out from an upstairs widow over the lawns towards the gatehouse. Not the best of days, low cloud, and drizzle in the air, not a day to be outdoors. More a day to be spent in the library.

 

Marjorie swore that she would never return to Stag Head manor but here she was. The carriage pulling through the gateway and heading up the drive towards the manor.

Jennifer looked with a degree of curiosity at the carriage making its way up the driveway. She wasn’t expecting anyone, who could it be? Jennifer watched a large, well-dressed lady, assisted by the coachman, alight the carriage. When that lady turned and looked up at the window, from which Jennifer was viewing her arrival, Jennifer drew back and gasped. Lady Summerfield’s sister, half-sister, she is sure to recognise Maud for who she really is! 

Jennifer’s heart was beating like a drum. What to do? She had met Lady Summerfield’s relation only once. Only once but never forgotten. She was a domineering brute of a woman. The dressing down Jennifer had been given by her for dropping her cloak had made her shiver: she feared she was about to be thrashed. Why was she here? Why now? She may recognise her for the maid she was. This could ruin everything! Jennifer took a deep breath pulling herself together.

Thankfully Jennifer was at the foot of the stairs in the hallway when the doorbell chimed.

Jennifer glared at her maid who had left her cleaning and was coming to answer the door.

“Get back into the kitchens! Better still, your room. Go to your room and don’t come out until I call you.”

Maud curtsied.

“Yes, Madame.”

Whilst Maud had been dismissed to her room many times previously with visitors at the door, it was very rare now. Lady Summerfield could only ever be recognised for what she had become, for what she was, a housemaid. This was different, much different Constance’s sibling was at the door.

Jennifer made sure her maid was out of sight before opening the door.

Marjorie stood and stared at Jennifer for what seemed an age before handing Jennifer her card.

“Marjorie Wilberforce. Miss Marjorie Wilberforce, Constance’s sister.

Jennifer tried hard to hide her nervousness clearing her throat, at least Jennifer had not been recognised to be the maid Jenny, who, on reflection, Miss Marjorie had only seen briefly during her last visit to the manor.

“Indeed, Constance’s sister. What a surprise! Lady Summerfield is away travelling I am afraid. A wasted journey it would seem, I hope you haven’t travelled far. I am looking after the manor whilst your sister is away.”

Marjorie pushed her way into the inner hallway and closed the door behind her and stared intently at Jennifer who edged nervously backwards. There was something familiar about this woman, but they could never have met, could they?

“I did not come to visit my sister. I am aware she is not in residence. It is you I have come to see. Jennifer Jenkins I presume? And my journey won’t be wasted when I learn what you know about the whereabouts of my sister. So, where is she? Where did so go? Tell me.”

Jennifer continued to edge backwards, and the intimidating presence of Marjorie followed her.

“Well, tell me, where is she? You must know where she went.”

Jennifer summoned some resolve but stuttered her words.

“I, I don’t, don’t know, I don’t. She gave, I mean sent me a letter, a letter asking me to look after the manor. I don’t know where she went, she didn’t say.”

Marjorie was not convinced and continued with the shock tactics that she had planned.

“Look, whoever you are, you don’t know me but mark my words you are better telling me what you know, what I need to know, because I won’t be leaving here until you do.”

Jennifer gulped thinking the best form of defence being attack.

“Look, you are right. I don’t know who you are, or even if you are who you say you are. You barge into Lady Summerfield’s home without invitation threating me with your attitude. I have told you I don’t know where Lady Summerfield went, or where she is. I think you should leave unless you can restrain yourself.”

Marjorie could sense the nervousness in this woman’s voice: she knew something and Marjorie was going to find out what.

“I think you do know. You know something and you are going to tell me!”

Marjorie pointed to the door into the parlour.

“After you, Miss Jenkins, if you don’t mind.”

Jennifer stood her ground.

“I have had enough of this nonsense. I am the custodian here. I have told you that your sister is away travelling and that I don’t know where she is. Now, I am asking you again to leave.”

A large hand reached out and locked around the top of Jennifer’s arm squeezing it painfully before Jennifer was pulled to the parlour door and pushed inside.

“Sit down, shut up, and listen.”

“I know you had a visit from the customs officers and that you know why my sister left in such a hurry so no more games. Now where did she go, she must have said something, anything.”

Jennifer stared up at her angry-faced visitor feeling at the soreness in her arm.

“Yes, they came some weeks ago now and said that they needed to speak with your sister about some business matter. I gave them some files and they left. I told them what I am telling you: I don’t know where she went or is. I showed them the letter she gave me; I will go and get it for you if you like.”

Marjorie’s shock tactic had not had the desired effect, but she was sure this Jennifer Jenkins knew something, something she was hiding, but what? Perhaps if this custodian knew exactly what Constance had done, she would be more likely to be open and tell her what she knew.

Marjorie softened her stance.

“Look, Jennifer, I am sorry for grabbing you like that. It’s just that I am desperate to find out where Constance went. Perhaps when I tell you what she did it may refresh your memory.”

Jennifer relaxed a little and listened to Marjorie tell her all about Constance’s activities in Africa and the Caribbean. How Marjorie’s “friend” had unearthed incriminating documents and shipping manifests.

Marjorie then told Jennifer about the collapse of the last trial, lack of concrete evidence, how the state had tried to cover it all up, not wanting slavery to be raised in the open, public courts. Constance had escaped with a mild slap on the wrist for incomplete documentation but nothing else. Marjorie had obtained the evidence the prosecution needed but doubted they would look to keenly to find her sister and that she would elude justice yet again.

Marjorie sighed forlornly.

“I don’t know why I bother really. Even if I find Constance and turn her over to the law it will probably all be covered up again. They will find some other excuse or a fancy barrister will get Constance off the hook. She should be made to pay for what she did to those poor villagers, some were just children!”

Jennifer confirmed her disgust at what Lady Summerfield had done then pushed Marjorie on what she had said about the state not wanting the matter to become public, that the courts would not enthusiastically pursue her sister for her to stand trial.

“What you have told me is awful. And what you are saying is they don’t want to find her, quite happy she disappeared, and won’t really be looking for her?”

Marjorie smiled ruefully.

“I am afraid so. I would have to drag her to the courts myself, that’s why I am here hoping you would know something.”

Jennifer continued.

“But you said even if you did find her and handed her to the authorities, they would be reluctant to proceed, do anything, bring her to court, see her punished.”

Marjorie sighed.

“Wrong, isn’t it? But what other way is there for her to pay for what she has done other than through the courts?  Well, now you know the evil she did. So if you do know something, anything, I hope you will now tell me. So, do you know anything? Where she went? Where she is?"

Jennifer looked blankly at her visitor but was already thinking of a way to keep her privileges of Mistress of the manor.

Marjorie glared at Jennifer

"Well, do you know something? There was a maid here the last time I visited. A clumsy thing. She may know something. Where is she? Bring her in here I will speak with her. If she knows anything I get it out of her.”

Jennifer adjusted herself in her chair, her arm still aching and mindful of what this woman was capable of.

“The maid you speak of is no longer the maid here at the manor. There is a new maid. I took her on myself when I became custodian at the manor. She will know nothing; your sister had left when she started her service at Stag Head.”

Marjorie smiled cynically. This Jenkins woman knew more than she was telling. What was she hiding and why?  Her disgust at what Constance had done was genuine, that was obvious to Marjorie, now knowing the wickedness of Constance, why not give her up, tell what she knows? Was she wrong about this woman, did she really not know anything?

Jennifer was outwardly calm but there was fear in her thoughts. She could tell that Lady Summerfield’s sister suspected that she knew more than she was telling. What if she decides to beat the truth from her? What would she do if she knew the truth, knew her sister was now her maid’s maid? That thought brought an unconscious smile to Jennifer’s face, which did not go unnoticed by Marjorie.

“You smile, Jennifer, what is it?”

Jennifer needed a distraction time to think.

“Nothing, nothing. Let me find the letter your sister gave me. Perhaps it will help.”

Jennifer went quickly to the study to retrieve the letter her Mistress gave her. She smiled at the other note, the signed letter of indemnity she had Lady Summerfield sign. It was a gamble what she was planning but whilst she had fooled everyone else, she was sure Constance’s sister would force the truth from her and recognise her maid for who she once was. From what Jennifer had been told the authorities would be unlikely to secure a conviction, if they even ever brought the matter to trial, perhaps her sister being her maid’s maid would be justice enough for Marjorie. She would soon find out.

Returning to the parlour Jennifer retook her seat and offered the letter to Marjorie.

“This is the letter I received from your sister. There is no mention of her plans, about where she was going, as you can see.”

Marjorie took the letter to read.

 

Dear Jennifer,

So, kind of you to take up my position of Mistress at Stag Head Manor whilst I am away travelling, I am not sure when I will be returning but I am sure you will manage. There are couple of things you will need to know and help you settle in.

I have written to the bank to organise a generous allowance for your use, they will be sending a letter of authority to you in due course.

A new maid was engaged recently Maud Williams, she completed her probationary period and I have written to my attorney to prepare and raise a contract for her. This should be with you shortly.

By way of this letter, you have my authority to assume the full responsibilities and privileges afforded to the Mistress of the manor until my return.

Wishing you well with grateful thanks

Your faithfully

Constance.

Lady Summerfield


Marjorie stared intently at Jennifer.

“This maid, this Williams woman. You lied to me, she was here at the manor before Constance departed. She may know something. Call her, I will speak with her.”

Jennifer took a deep breath. It was all or nothing now and handed Marjorie the signed letter of indemnity.

“There is something you should know about my maid.”

I, Lady Constance Summerfield, have agreed to become my maid’s maid at Stag Head Manor in the name of Maud Williams for a period to be determined by my maid. I do so in full knowledge of consequence and indemnify such maid from any and all responsibilities in this matter.

Lady Constance Summerfield

Marjorie’s nostrils flared and her face grew red, before she stood from her chair towering over a cowering Jennifer.

“What, what is this, you are Constance’s maid? How dare you!”

Jennifer pushed back into her chair.

“Wait! Wait, I can explain. Please let me explain. I didn’t know why she wanted to become my maid. I didn’t, I swear. I just thought it was some perverse game, some weird desire. A few weeks I thought but a month, then two, it became more than that, you will see for yourself. Something changed in her mind with being my maid, being treated like a maid. It was only when the customs men came looking for her that I realised she had planned to hide herself in the guise of a maid. They saw her, had a photograph of Lady Summerfield but they didn’t recognise my maid to be other than what she was, my maid. I should have said something at the time, but I didn’t.”

Marjorie laughed.

“My sister a maid in her own home? Her maid’s maid? Well, she won’t be hiding here much longer, and you will be joining her in the courts, aiding and abetting a fugitive."

Jennifer stood and walked to the call cord.

“Wait, wait until you have seen her before you decide on that course of action. You have just told me that your sister could and most probably would escape justice, even if you turn her over to the authorities, you said so yourself. I will call her now. She may have had the intention of masquerading as a maid, but you will see there is no pretence in what she is, what she has become. She truly believes she is Maud Williams. Why not have her remain just that, a common maid, my maid, her maid’s maid. What better punishment than that for her past sins?”

Jennifer pulled the cord and a dismayed Marjorie sat back in her chair having listened to Jennifer. This was nonsense, utter nonsense. Constance a maid? Her maid’s maid?

A knock on the parlour door and Maud entered and curtsied.

“Madame, yer called me.”

“Yes, I did, you will serve tea. This is Lady Summerfield’s sister. She has called to see me, offer your deference.”

Maud turned to face Marjorie, her gaze lowered, and curtsied.

“Miss.”

Maud turned and left the room to prepare the beverage requested and Marjorie stared at the door that Maud had left by. Mixed emotions of shock and disbelieve leaving her dumbstruck before eventually turning to a smirking Jennifer.

“O my goodness! What have you done to her? The way she looks, the way she spoke, her demeanour. That’s my sister, that’s Constance? Her hair, her weight, that uniform, you have aproned her, truly put her to the apron. I hardly recognise her; in truth I am not sure that I do!”

Marjorie chuckled.

“Quite an act! But you say it is no longer an act. But how can you be sure? My sister is devious, very devious.”

Jennifer sat back down in her chair and continued to tell Marjorie the whole story of Lady Summerfield’s demise and willing descent into a life of servitude. To truly become her maid’s maid.

Interrupted by a knock on the parlour door Jennifer’s maid brought in her tray, curtsied, and served tea for her mistress and guest. With Maud having left the room, without a hint of recognition that it was her sister who was her Mistress's visitor.

Marjorie shook her head in disbelief and sniggered listening to Jennifer telling her how after a week as a maid she had begged her to continue being her maid’s maid, agreed that Jennifer could decide how long for. With hindsight it was obviously a scheme to avoid the authorities. She could not have known or even imagined the profound affect her continued servitude would have on her.

Jennifer brought the maid’s contract to show Marjorie and told her of the photograph taken of Maud in her uniform and the registration with the notary. Explaining how Jennifer had taken her maid to town, having her trooping behind her dressed in her humble attire. Jennifer could not be precise about when Lady Summerfield’s mind was lost only that the journals and literature she had discovered, concerning all things maid, suggested that her thoughts of taking the apron had been long held. With a mind primed, with such imaginings, and a wistful desire to take the apron, it would seem she thought to indulge her fetish and hide in plain sight of those who would pursue her. She could not have known that she would be consumed so completely by her alter ego. 

A refilled cup Marjorie gazed at her sisters, well Maud’s, contract of service with Stag Head Manor and chuckled at the image of her bewildered looking sister dressed in her uniform of service.

“You could have stopped this nonsense when you realised what was happening; you could have told the authorities when they visited, but you didn’t. You continued to indulge, encourage and perpetuate this preposterousness, no doubt seeking a permanence, for my sister, to remain her maid’s maid, your maid.”

Marjorie’s eyes tightened looking across at a still somewhat nervous Jennifer.

“My untimely visit must be a shock to you. You have fooled the notary and the authorities, but you would have known if anyone could recognise who lay behind the apron, it would be me. You have obviously indulged yourself, have you not? Those fine clothes, my sisters no doubt, and a life of luxury. Why would you put a stop to this masquerade, why wouldn’t you continue the mischief, to live the life of mistress of the manor. Quite erotic in many ways I would suggest, having your once Mistress aproned serving your every need. And so exquisite, all the time knowing exactly who your maid once was and the life she led.”

Marjorie placed her drained cup back on its saucer and smiled

“Well, what to do Jennifer, not only with my sister but also with you? Of course, Constance could still be looking to hoodwink us all, could she not?”

Jennifer, a little more relaxed in Marjorie’s presence, could not help but laugh.

“Really, I have strapped that maid’s fat backside many times. I doubt Lady Summerfield would have stood for that, but Maud, well, she understood that she was deserving of her spankings. Like a good and humble maid should.”

Jennifer sensed that Marjorie was contemplating Jennifer’s suggestion, to keep Lady Summerfield the maid of Stag Head manor and that hopefully her own future would be remaining its custodian, its Mistress.

“Why don’t you stay a few days, a week or two. Stay at the manor, see what a good maid your sister has become.”

Marjorie smiled. If a grain of pretence remained within this maid’s maid, she would expose it.  The situation she had stumbled upon she found incredulous but, with no less conviction, this maid, this custodian’s account of events, so preposterous to be believable. Having actually seen her sister, what was her sister, why should it not all be true? She would also have to decide the fate of this maid, this usurper. She would stay, then she would decide what to do.

“I think I will do just that, and then I will decide whether to inform the authorities or not and just as importantly what to do with you, my dear.”

Jennifer pulled the call cord, and an attentive maid was soon entering the Parlour with her customary curtsy.

“Madame, yer called me.”

“Yes, Maud, prepare the master guest room. Lady Summerfield’s sister will stay with me for few days.”

“Yes, Madame”

A curtsy, and the maid was gone to her task.

Marjorie laughed when the maid left.

"Fascinating, truly fascinating. So delectable, my surly bitch of a sister aproned and clueless that she was once Lady Summerfield the Mistress of Stag Head manor, now its humble maid. I think you may be right Jennifer, what more fitting a punishment for her wickedness than to have her spend her days in servitude, as a common maid, and perhaps, although I have yet to decide, remain her maid’s maid."

 



10 comments:

  1. Servitude "for a period to be determined by my maid", "she could decide how long for" made me shiver... Thank you Miss Jackie !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that all of the women that become maids in your stories seem to undergo some sort of amnesia?
    What happens to them so that they can't recall their own family members after mere months working a different job?
    Is it the maids that are feeble minded? Or maybe the writer who uses this same plot over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge supporter of Jackie's and always appreciate her work and efforts. Now that you mention amnesia, I think that's one of the reasons why my favorite stories have been Madame Deville and A Best Laid Plan. There wasn't much amnesia, just a ratcheting effect which trapped the protagonist in a more permanent situation that she had originally planned.

      Delete
  3. The story continues! TY Ms Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice as always.
    I hope Marjorie and Jennifer agree on Maud's fate.
    Jennifer will be able to continue living in her mansion while Marjorie takes her half-sister with her to town.
    Logically, she and her lover really need a maid of all works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delectable as always. I wonder whether there might not still be a twist in this tale. I fancy that Constance is more cunning than it seems. I can't say I take to Marjorie Wilberforce much; I would quite like to see her get her comeuppance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jackie, A wonderful story and plot line, as always. Ellie, there are too many openings in the story at the present time. Too many things can happen to the characters and the plot, but I agree with you that Marjorie needs to get smacked with the strap herself. On the other hand, don't get too comfortable with how Maud/Constance is behaving. I believe that she is not finished, yet.

      I can't hazard a guess as to what is about to happen, but I can hardly wait for the next chapter. Jackie, thank you for another wonderful story. Ronnie.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Ms Jackie! this story is very excite!

    ReplyDelete