Wednesday, August 18, 2021

By Way of a Change (1902)

Dear readers, sorry for the long silence. I am well and still very much interested in our favourite topic, it's just that real life (I know, that's a lame excuse, but what I can say?) and, I won't lie, laziness keep interfering. Anyway, a very interesting find. I am a huge fan of Victorian- and Edwardian-era prints and repeatedly used them for captions in this blog. Work by Charles Dana Gibson, the father of the famous 'Gibson Girl', has always held a special place in my heart. Surprisingly, I'd never come across this interesting 1902 print titled "By Way of a Change" before.  Many of Gibson's prints feature maids, but none unfortunately could be interpreted as lady-to-maid. This is probably the closest we can get. My spoiled mind keeps inventing the story behind it, but obviously it's something as innocent as this real-life masters and servants hotel role swap I did a post on. I am also somewhat reminded of this Edwardian postcard, How Would You Like to Be the Maid?   

Anyway, what do you think is happening here? 






7 comments:

  1. Welcome back Camille. It has been a long month since the last update, but I have made do by reading some older content. I am always grateful for any new content and I believe I speak for the vast majority of your readers, despite what a small noisy minority of naysayers might make you think.
    Regarding this image, my theory is it represents the common tradition of employers serving at their servants dinner at Christmas time, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’re correct, didn’t this happen in an episode of Downton Abbey?

      Delete
    2. I agree with summertime. Wasn't there something similar in the army where officers served the other ranks?

      Having, in my teens in the late 1950s, been in digs with a woman who was 'in service' at the turn of the 20th century in London, I've always disliked the attitudes of the aristos for their so-called inferiors. Mrs Edwards bore no truck for her former employers. So I've watched neither 'Downton Abbey' nor 'The Crown'. I've lived through the latter anyway :)

      I looked back at the first link about the role switch in Matlock and see I commented then.

      Glad to see a return to service, Camille. It's been a bit quiet lately and my daily visits have been sadly brief.

      R

      Delete
    3. Robyn, the Matlock switch was still happening in 1934, it seems to have been a regular tradition https://summertime75.wordpress.com/2018/04/19/topsy-turvydom/

      Delete
  2. I seem to recall that the custom of switching roles between that of masters and mistresses with that of their servants or retainers for one day a year goes back to Renaissance (e.g. Tudor) times and probably to some time in the Middle Ages.

    For all I know, it might even go back to the Romans and Greeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The obvious reference here is to the Roman Saturnalia, something that would be well known to an upper class Victorian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur on the downstair staff being served by the upstair family in this image.

    I think Mr Gibson has made a faux pas regarding etiquette in this image, aprons worn at the table, smoking again at the table, tut tut, though perhaps Mr Gibson should be given some artistic licence on the matter.

    I love such images from a bygone era, they create the most wonderful scenes etc in ones minds eye.

    Thank you Camille for maintaining this excellent site, my gratitude too must go to the authors of the stories within, it is always a joy to visit this blog.

    ReplyDelete